Sunday, March 20, 2011

Some hockey in Kent




I was lucky enough to be invited to a hockey game by a friend who managed to score some tickets from her employer with some nice seats at the arena in Kent, WA.

As a train rider, the Kent station has an old, abandoned grain shack that has some interesting effects as it's remained neglected. Photography stuff, like peeling paint, moss, and even grass. It has fascinated me every time we've stopped there, I took advantage of the location to arrive early to fire off some shots of this location as well as some of the people at the nearby mall.

Sometimes, a camera can be a funny thing. I've learned it can have a tendency to draw people to you unnecessarily. This was the case for me on this day, and unfortunate because I really wanted to be invisible in order to get the most candid shots possible. I let the 30-45 minute conversation I had with a stranger, cause me to retreat from the location earlier than I had wished. I am definitely going to look at strategies to keep me shooting so I can avoid these situations in the future.

The game was great and I really enjoyed it. The people-watching was at a premium, so I was in my glory being there! I will need to attend some more sporting events with the family; it's an experience I think we need to have from time to time when we live in such a closed-in little world as we do.

While in celebration from the goals, I was standing up and accidentally let my camera lens hit the head of an fan below and in front of me, that was sitting down. I was so embarrassed! I learned my lesson there and will make sure to hang onto it at all times!

Today's the first day of Spring and I couldn't be happier for it's arrival! I hope we have an awesome season and Summer as well!

Until next time...

No comments: